Sunday 10 January 2016

LIGHTSHIP CORMORANT / LADY DIXON - Chapter 130b

 
David, thanks again for the information. The source was as expected, and therefore it is not useful as a foundation for citable material. I am, like you, but for a different reason, undertaking a forensic research that requires 'strict proof' - ie first-hand documentation.
   The reason for my research is that I discovered that a lot of people have been and still are repeating myths originated for the specific purpose of creating obfuscation, and consequently everything from BBC to Wikipedia archives (which are always dodgy), are parroting back stuff that is entirely bogus.  The real story of offshore radio is somewhat mind-boggling and it is not the story that the fans of offshore radio (1960-1968), think that it is.
    Because a series of books based upon already published academic articles is the reason for my questions, can you tell me for certain who the buyer was listed as in the transaction recorded in Belfast?
Mervyn


Hi Mervyn
I think you can trust the Belfast Harbour Commissioners to have recorded the transaction accurately. I do have copies of relevant minutes and some excellent photos of the Lady Dixon from 1942 to 1960 which were kindly photocopied for me during my visit.  I found the 1961 minutes just as I was leaving and was reluctant to disturb the secretary again. However I did make a note of the wording and the buyer was G. A. Lee Ltd, Earl Street, Belfast. The price agreed was £685 which in today's money is over £10,000.
I have no reliable information as to whether Lee sold on the ship to Thompson or to Swanson. 
Your book sounds intriguing!  I too am coming across myths about Cormorant / Lady Dixon, but not I think deliberate obfuscation. The very first one is that she was built by 'The Victoria Shipbuilding Co'.  No such firm existed.
David

No comments:

Post a Comment